14 January 2012

Project Plan


For my project, I want to combine several images to create a new scene. I think I want to take a fairly empty landscape to use as the background and add mountains, a castle, dead trees, and a stormy red sky to create a spooky night scene. To accomplish this, I would have to either find a way to remove the background from the pictures of the castle and trees in JES or in Photoshop, and then combine elements of each image and use image filters to make them look better together and fit the mood more. 


The background image I would use would provide a backdrop for the more important elements of the image I would make. I don’t think that very much of it would be visible in the final product, probably just some of the grass. I would alter this image to be much darker and probably a bit desaturated. 


For the castle, I would first get rid of some of the edges by cropping it. Then I could either try to use JES or Photoshop to greenscreen the background, so I could place the castle in grassy background image. I’m going to try to use JES to greenscreen it first, because the sky is fairly distinct from the rest of the image. One thing I could try instead of greenscreening would be to blend pixels that are close enough to the sky color, so that the picture might fit into the background better. This would probably get the windows and some of the trim on the castle too, but that would be okay because it would just make them darker and I’ll want to do that to this image anyway. The green shouldn’t be too hard to remove, since it is fairly different from everything I would want to keep. The castle would go on the right side of the background picture, roughly in the middle vertically. 


The mountains would go on the left of the background picture, with the right edge of the mountains hidden by the castle. I would crop this image so that it would stop at a little lower than the tops of the shortest trees. The trees would get desaturated and darkened, and blended into the background. The sky would be greenscreened. I think I would probably make the mountains a lot darker so that it looks like they are farther off in the distance and more part of the background than a major focus.
 

Originally I also wanted to include an erupting volcano, just because I liked the idea of trying to blend it with the mountains in a way that would look decent. Now I think it wouldn’t really look very good with what I’m trying to do, or it would look like it was just added randomly. If I did use it, I would scale it so that the volcano part could overlap and cover a mountain peak. For the sky, I would probably try to blend it at the edges and hope that it would be close enough to the look of sky I want that the edges won’t stand out. 


For the sky, I don’t really think I would need to edit it very much. Since it would be behind the mountains and castle, I could probably just crop out the parts with the trees and drop it in to replace the sky of the background. 


I would probably use at least one dead tree to add atmosphere and cover up places where the images don’t blend well. The main thing I would need to do for the trees would be to cut out the background with greenscreening. At least for this image, it would probably be difficult to do with JES. If I wanted to use this image for more than one tree, I could use mirroring and scaling to make it look less repetitive.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the effort to use more JES rather than less. Give it a shot but fall back to Phototshop as needed. I'm not sure I havethe final image in mind but I think you do. The only think I see that concerns me is that there are a lot of images to build into one piece here. Just work incrementally and see how it progresses. But you may well pull it off, too -- the idea of using trees to block rough spots is interesting. See moodle for a private note

    ReplyDelete